These are sentences that are thrown around by bosses lightly but which experience has taught me are usually followed by a great deal of wasted time, effort and redundant work.
- “Can you spare a minute?” (Answer at your own peril.)
- “What is Z working on right now?” (Z being one of your subordinates)
- “Run that by me before you send it out.” (also reads, that file is never going to get sent out, it will get stuck in an editing and re-editing cycle of doom.)
- “Remember when we were working on that project a couple of years back….” (prepare to go digging for files).
- In Ramadan “Start thinking what you want to order for Iftar today.”
Finally the deal breaker: “What did you have planned for this weekend?”