I’m not one for the self help books, they provoke me, and I find them very slow paced and extremely irritating. As a result I’ve passed on the whole John Gray mania and on a less romantic note the infamous Steven Covey.
Accordingly I wasn’t that excited when my BC announced that a friend was giving a 5 day crash work shop on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Desire to see them got me to go. I sat there listening to a lot of stuff that I would otherwise have cast aside as common sense etc…
Then I stopped and took an honest look at myself and realized that for the past week or so, I’ve been reacting, as if the entire world was out of my hand and I was just reacting to it all.. damage control so to speak.
I was told that when faced with an external stimuli I could choose how to react… and no matter what the results were.. there are always lessons learned.
So here is my take-away of this week:
- NEVER EVER indulge in a fight between friends… good intentions or not… sometimes you just can’t win…. and in this case even when one of them wins.. I lose.
- I give up way too easily
- I don’t fully understand the value of things/ people until I’m on the edge of losing them/it or have lost it/them already.
- There is no such thing as a selfless relationship, you’re always in it for something.. even if that thing isn’t material… and not recognized by the other party.
- Individuals weave in and out of each other’s lives… consistency is a thing of the past.. at best you can aspire to have had a positive impact on the lives you’ve been blessed enough to touch.
- You always… always have a choice!