Was having coffee with friends last night at Costa’s and the conversation veered towards his potential future military obligation. He is having to put his entire life on hold until he figures out whether or not he is going to be drafted. He (like all fresh graduates) was praying for an exemption or a postponement. We then started discussing how life was tough and somebody on the table made the comment “It’s so tough being a guy, girls have it easy”.
At this point I literally snapped. I couldn’t believe the audacity, that they were disillusioned enough to claim that. Take out a paper and pen and take note my friend.
When was the last time you as a guy was:
– Denied a job because they were not hiring men.
– Denied a career/education choice because it was predominately male and the professor in charge wouldn’t allow a girl to pass.
– Been called words too heinous to repeat as you walked down the street as passer-byes attempted to hit on you, guess the colour of your underwear and preach to you on religion all at the same time.
– Called a “male driver” as if it was an insult.
– Expected to give up your career to stay home and raise the kid.
– Expected to work inside and outside the house.
– Pregnant and had to go through labour.
– Given a curfew before midnight and reprimanded for coming in 5 minutes after that deadline.
– Walking with a female (not necessarily your girlfriend) and had everybody in the street questioning your morals.
– In love with someone but unable to tell them because our oriental society indicates that they should make the first move.
Yet guys can sit there and claim life is tough. All due respect, life is a lot tougher on this side.